PREFACE: I am NOT a novice to machine quilting. I began using the technique back in 1988 and have machine quilted ALL of my quilts since that time. I started it back in the days where machine quilted quilts weren’t considered to be “PROPER” quilts.
I have, however, gotten into a bad habit of believing that I can rush thru the quilting and get to the fun part of starting yet another project. I have stuck stubbornly to the motifs and designs that I am most comfortable with and have not fully explored the new and exciting FMQ motifs that are being developed. This post is about my efforts to reacquire the fun and excitement that I first had when I started machine quilting.
Now….back to the blog……
I have heard that there are three tricks to great Free Motion Quilting…..
I have mentioned here previously that I want to “up-my-game” where my quilting is concerned and that is the next project in the queue…..named FMQ3P!!
I purchased a top from Spoonflower and added a couple of borders to bring it to a nice size….
I pulled out a number of quilting books, both old and new to help me plan out the quilting…….
To prove my determination to do this FMQ study well I made a few changes to my usual set up.
First, I decided to pull out the Little Genie Magic bobbin washers and see if they would help reduce thread nests that I was sometimes seeing on the back of my quilting……. Previously, I had only used this with a drop-in bobbin so it was interesting to see how it fit insde the bobbin case.
Finally, although it makes no difference to the actual quilting process, I switched to a new, clean pair of gloves rather than the old, VERY dirty ones…..
I began by using the walking foot and doing all of the dtich quilting although for most of this process, it was just following along the printed line. I did find that since I was trying to be so careful that it helped to turn the machine speed down so that I had more control…..
I also concentrated on stopping to reposition my hands more so that my “hand hoop” was never far from the needle. I ended up stopping about every 50 stitches.
I decided to do a funky flower in the first block and was getting ready to mark some guidelines but remembered a product that I had bought at Houston but had never used. It is called the “Cross Hair Ruler” from Sew Steady …..
and it did it’s job perfectly. ……
My design sizing is not perfect, particularly the petals heading into the corners (those long curves are hard to quilt with marking them), but I am fairly happy with this first foray into FMQ3P……
Now I wanted to try the “Paisley Tulip Motif” from Murphy’s idea book…
…but on a smaller scale…..
Not too shabby!!
Now that I was having some success with free motion motifs, I worked up my courage and pulled out some of the rulers to give them a try. I started with the straight edge and had no problems with it. I was encouraged by that so wanted to try one that was a bit more complicated….ie CLAMSHELLS.
I began sewing on the two block borders and was pleased with how it was working, although I did have a hard time figuring out exactly where my ruler needed to be positioned on the successive rounds….. The “oops”is on the left with the amended version on the right……
After quiting clamshells on half of the border, I opted for a simple undulating line for the other two sides. The finished block looked good…..
The last block for the day was one of the funky, slanted stripe blocks. I did the first two sections with a simple right to left sway design and then added pebbling of various sizes to fill in the rest of the “patches”…..
Since I was trying to do everything free-motion I was avoiding marking as much as possible. I was happy to remember that I could use the outside of the darning foot as a 1/4 inch measure……
At this point it was time for me to stop for the day and am happy with the practice time that I accomplished. But…..
Note to self…..being uber careful takes time! It does take longer when you are concentrating and trying to do a better job, but it is definitely worth the effort.
This isn’t a “quilt it fast and get it finished” project….. Three blocks done……nine to go!!!