I’m Seeing Red!

….A little late because I forgot to post it yesterday!!!

.

No, I am not mad!!!

This is the title of yet another challenge quilt that I created back in 2000.

This time the guild had a color challenge and the color that I selected out of the hat was RED.

I wanted it to be bold and audacious and finally settled on a pattern from the book “Op-Art Quilts” by Marilyn Doheny…..

The construction of the quilt was relatively simple, as long as I CAREFULLY followed the cutting instructions. I remember that I didn’t have much extra fabric which meant that proper cutting was even MORE important!!

I even found some of the strip sets when I opened my “Pandora’s Box” of miscellaneous fabrics!!!

I was especially proud of the the two borders that I added. I really felt that the second “strip set” border added a lot to the design.

I wanted to keep the corners simple to really emphasize the bold pattern. I entered it into our guild quilt show and remember that one of the judges said that there was too much movement and no place for the eye to settle!!! It was one of the few times that I wanted to reply to the review and say DUH!!!

Advertisements

#TBT…..Who am I???

Many years ago, the guild presented the challenge to make a personality quilt. It could be an actual likeness or an image that reminded the observer of you.

Back then, I had NO idea of how to make an actual likeness, and did not have the confidence to even try one.

Instead, I thought about my quilting personality and decided to show my quilting closet!! At this time, I worked solely on the kitchen table, often using the kitchen island for a cutting station. My fishing tackle box full of supplies sat on one corner of the island. Moving the cutting mat and fabric was often the first step to dinner preparation and there was no possibility of sitting at the sewing machine laden table. We typically ate our family dinner in the living room, normally watching Batman or Rin-Tin-Tin on TV.

A closet was the only place that I had to store my supplies. Fabric boxes were stacked on the floor and thread spools were hung on the door. The shelves held supplies, batting and all other necessary supplies.

The front of the quilt sported a door……

But when you opened it, you could see the full extent of my quilting closet…….

The top shelf held a roll of batting and my “tool box”……

Next came a shelf of books….quilting, gardening and music…..

I laugh now that there is even a book called “Successful Parenting” and another called the “Softball Team Mother’s Handbook”. Of course there is a book called “Financial Statement Preparation” and another called “Natural Hybridization” (Michael’s first book). Quite an eclectic assortment!!!

The next shelf had a very important box full of UFO’s with the note to “DO THESE FIRST”. The other side held some of my finished quilts. ……

I remember having fun with these finished quilts as I printed photos onto fabric. This was one of my first tries at this technique.

The bottom shelf contained an always teetering stack of fabrics……

It is fun to note that I still have some of these fabrics and have recently been carefully folding them to fit on my new shelves.

The final section was inside the door…..

This panel included photos of Michael and I, one of the kids. There were a few spools of thread and my current to-do list. And finally, my “quilt angel” award that I won at our very first guild show…..more about that in another post.

All in all, I am happy with my personality challenge. It was another situation where I was challenged to push beyond what I thought I could do!!

…..Bring on the next one!!!