The Mystery is Revealed

This week I felt like Inspector Clouseau…..

The case was indeed SOLV-ED!!

This month was the last clue in the Morewood Mystery from Meadow Mist Designs, and it was SO much fun to see how it all came together.

We ended up with two blocks…..

One of the nicest things about this quilt is that there are NO seams inside the block that have to match. I only had to match the corners….

This meant that sewing the blocks together was super fast and easy!! I would start out by matching the leading edge corner and sewing about an inch….

Then I would match up the seam at the end of the block…..

….and hold it as I sewed the seam…..

…letting the machine pull the block toward the needle….

This is the final design…..

I love the design and the movement across the diagonal of the quilt. However, part of the design is lost because I didn’t have enough contrast between the yellows and the background fabrics. This would have been solved if I had used one white fabric for the background rather than lots of scrap fabrics. Live and learn!!

Also, I wish that it was one more row in length so that it could easily become a twin bed quilt. Now I COULD make 5 extra blocks but instead, I am adding a yellow border to the top and bottom and then additional borders to all sides…..

When it is finished, it will be donated to a women’s rehab center that is in need of twin-size quilts. I think that it will be a happy addition to any room!!

More on the Mystery….

This past week I was determined to catch up with the Morewood Mystery.

When I showed the December clue, I commented that the next step was starting to put some of the bits and pieces together. For me, this is the MOST exciting part of a mystery quilt….seeing how it is going to fit together.

Now, as we have been working on the various pieces to the puzzle, I had formed an idea of where I thought we were headed. But, after completing the January clue, I have NO idea!!

This month we put together these funky, asymmetrical blocks…..

I am super pleased with the piecing and most of my corners matched well.

I had fun laying out the blocks and trying to get some idea of “who-done-it”….ie… what the final pattern would look like……

….but neither of these takes into account the other bits and pieces that still need to be included……

It definitely is a mystery!!

Come back next month for the next clue. AND, if you want to join in, there is still time!! You can find all of the instructions on the Morewood Mystery Website……

Morewood Mystery….a bit late!!!

I LOVE a good mystery…..

….and on December 31st I finally got around to working on the December step for the Morewood Mystery……just in time!!!

The task for this month was to make Quarter-Square Triangle blocks…..or in this case, 3/4-Square Triangle blocks!!

Personally, I don’t remember ever making these type of blocks before, or if I did, I sure didn’t do it this easy way!!!

We started with a half square triangle block and a solid square (with a line drawn on the diagonal)…..

One was laid over the other and a line sewn on each side of the drawn line….

After pressing and cutting on the drawn line, the block was squared up…..

….and is ready for the next step which includes starting to put blocks together….

I am SO EXCITED!!!!

It’s a mystery…..new clue!!

When I finished the October step in the Morewood Mystery I couldn’t wait for the November clue to come out. BUT, when it did, life was simply too busy to get it done! I did find time before the end of November, but just barely!!

Fortunately the steps were fairly easy and didn’t take too long.

First was to used some of our half-square triangles and the Irish-chain units to make this tulip-looking block….

They look pretty good all laid out although I have no idea what orientation they will be in the final project……

Some of my yellows lack a bit of contrast but I am hoping that those lighter colors will be attached to darker colors to help with the contrast.

The next step was to make a series of Half-Square-Triangle units. Thankfully I remembered the instructions about ironing these units prior to cutting them …..

Finished and pressed flat!!

Here are my November batch of HST’s……

I am super happy with these, especially with the sparkle that they provide!!

On to the December clue…..

I’m being mysterious again!!

On the first of each month, we are given the next clue in our “Morewood Mystery” quilt presented by Meadow Mist Designs.

This month was fairly easy…..just making some four patches and another patch that will become part of an Irish Chain design.

The instructions called for using a “WOF” (width of fabric) for each set of patches, but since I was going with a scrappy approach, I decided to use lots of smaller strips…..

After they were all sewn together, it was time to Sub-cut them into 30 units. I did a video of this process giving a hint about an easier way!!

After the 4 patches were done…..

…..it was time to make the other units. It would have been good if I had realized that these two units are NOT the same……

Twenty-three of the ones on the left had to be un-sewn and re-done in the correct orientation!!!

But at the end of the day, step three was completed…..

Now I just have to wait a month to keep going!!!