From 5-inch to four patch

I have been talking this week about a Quilt of Valor that I was making using a panel and lots of 5-inch squares that were given to me by my Guild Charity Bee.

I knew that leaving the squares at 5 inches was way too big so I came up with a method for turning those 5-inch squares into a four -patch and then those four-patches into a checkerboard. Check the video out here……

Quilt of Valor Finished!!

Despite the rocky start where my math skills were concerned (read about it here), I am happy with the way the Quilt of Valor finished up.

Where I left you on Tuesday, it was not big enough to fit the QOV requirements, so I needed to make it bigger!! Because the panel was so skinny, more needed to be added to the sides than to the top and bottom.

My solution was to add a column of gold and cream checkerboard blocks…..

Adding a few borders finished the quilt top perfectly!!!

I am pleased with the result and, as with any QOV, I hope that it will be used to warm and comfort someone who chose to serve so that I could also be warm and comforted!!!

I’m good at math….I promise!!!

…..although some of my recent work didn’t prove it!!

I was working on a Quilt of Valor using a panel and fabric pack that had been provided by my guild’s Charity Bee……

The first problem was that the panel wasn’t printed straight and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t get it to be completely straight……

I finally just picked a point and trimmed the excess fabric off…..

This is when the math wheels fell off!!!!

I had decided to add a 2-inch checkerboard border around the panel so the center panel height and width needed to end up being even numbers. I measured, calculated, re-calculated, cut, and sewed the borders on. Then I measured again……NOOOOOOO!!

When I had planned the vertical border, I failed to include the 1/2 inch needed for seam allowances!!! Instead of unpicking those long seams, I opted to just trim the seam allowance off…..

I now re-cut the borders being sure to add the additional 1/2 inch. What I DIDN’T account for was the 1/2 inch that I trimmed off…..AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH! Fortunately, I figured this out before I sewed them back on again.

At this point, I had run out of the fabric that I was using for the border!! So I trimmed off the bottom and top seam allowance and started over again with a different fabric!!! You can be sure that I added a bit more than I thought I needed. It was a tense moment as I measured the piece to see if I had given myself enough room…..

WHEW!!!!

Now I could move on to making four the four patches and, fortunately, things went better from there. At the end of the day, this was where it stood……

So tomorrow I will take a few math classes and then keep working to grow this piece to an acceptable size!!!