While working on my 2nd Quilt of Valor, I needed to make 1/4 square triangles that ended up at 4 inch finished. It has been a long time since I made these, so I decided to Google it and ended up with Bonnie Hunter again.
She showed how to use her Essential Triangle Tool and, once again, the blocks were quickly made!! (My first foray with the Essential Triangle Tool was here)
When you make them the old-fashioned way, you have to start with a square that is 1.25 inches larger than what you want the finished size to be. In my case that would have meant that I needed squares that were 5.25 inches and I don’t have many of those already cut in my scraps.
Instead, I could use the ruler with 2.5 inch strips and I have BUNCHES of those!!!!
The first step was to cut/find two strips 2.5 inches wide……
….place them right sides together and start cutting, matching the edge up to the 2.5 inch mark and letting the little green triangle hang off of the strip…..
Cut as many sets as you need…..
Now to the machine, sewing from the point to the blocked-off edge…..
Press them open……
…and finally sew the pairs together to make the squares…..
The final step is to trim those pesky corners and they are ready to go.
Once again, I was amazed at how accurate these patches were and how well they fit with the other square and 1/2 square triangles blocks that made up the quilt.
It seems like it has been a LONG time since I have pieced anything!! To be honest, I have looked back over the last 18 months of posts, and I haven’t found any place where I actually pieced half-square triangles, or flying geese or ANYTHING.
I did some paper piecing last May and a lot of string piecing to make the Color Wheel squiggle (which still needs to be finished), but no traditional piecing. That is scary!!!
I am still trying to “up my game” with my work so wanted to be super careful on the first Quilt-of-Valor top that I am making. And part of doing this is to try some different techniques for piecing to see exactly what works best for me.
The first step in my QOV was to make 72 flying geese units. Since I wasn’t feeling particularly sure of myself, I decided to cut squares for the corner triangles and then sew on the diagonal…..
This method gives a fairly accurate size, but there is a lot of wasted fabric. Since I don’t have much fabric (cough…cough), and I COULDN’T allow that to happen, I went ahead and sewed a second seam approximately 1/2 inch from the first seam……
Then, I cut between these two lines……
….and ended up with a Flying Geese block AND an additional “freebie” half-square triangle patch…..
First step completed and NO un-sewing!! Although I did run out of bobbin thread and had sewed 7 pieces before I realized it….ARGH!!!
Long before the Corona invasion, there was a guild retreat planned for the first week in May. As with everything else right now, it has been canceled.
However, while there, I was planning to work on something totally mindless…something scrap…..something with nothing but sewing and ironing!!! I was thinking either charity quilts or Quilt’s of Valor.
The last two QoV’s that I made were NOT well planned. I started out with an idea and eventually turned them into tops, although it was NOT an easy task……
And, I even failed to even take a photo of the right one with full borders on it!!!
My plan is to make one and maybe two tops in the next month or so and wanted a definite pattern to work with. Time was spent searching internet images and ideas for QOV’s, coming up with a total of 21 ideas!!!
I picked out my favorites and planned 4 of them in EQ…..
I will probably start with the first two as they are a bit less complicated but I would love to do the second set as well.