A few weeks ago, I had talked about a stack of 6-inch squares that I had received from our Charity Bee. I was excited to see exactly what those disparate blocks would inspire!! The first quilt was the Pinwheel and was a flying success!!
Now it was time to use a few more of them….
I wanted to make this as a charity quilt so knew that I would need to change the size of the quilt to something like this…..
I remembered this idea when I was cleaning up scraps and carefully put aside any 1.5-inch strips that were in the 2-inch to 6- inch range. I also cut up 30 of the 6-inch squares to supplement my scrap stack…..
Now the fun started!!
I began by pairing up the strips and soon had a nice stack of “doubles”…..
I wanted this quilt to be completely random, so I threw the strips into a box and made my self look away when I picked the two strips sets that were to be sewn…..
Very quickly, the 2’s became 4’s…..
…and the 4’s became 12’s.
At this point, I stopped and trimmed the strip sets down to the 5.5 inch size that I wanted……
After I had plenty of 5.5 inch sets, I started working on the 1.5 and 3.5 inch sets and, without a lot of thought, I had the coin strips all finished…..
I auditioned several fabrics for the setting columns but the navy blue was the ONLY way to go.
I LOVE this top…..
….and hope that it will make the recipient smile!!
It was super easy and fast to make but has a pleasing complexity as well.
There will DEFINITELY be more of these in my future!!