If any of you know me, you know that I love Bonnie Hunter. She amazes me with the quality, consistency, and quickness of the work that she does. One of the reasons she accomplishes so much is because she is super organized, and that certainly appeals to me as well.
If you’ve never heard of Bonnie, you need to click here and spend a few hours perusing her site. I mean it……Leave my site right now and go visit hers!!!
For many years I have cut my scrap fabrics using her “scrap saver” system. She suggests cutting your leftover fabrics into usable sizes having them stored and ready to be grabbed at a moment’s notice.
Her suggested sizes are… 1.5 inch, 2.0 inch, 2.5 inch, and 3.0 inch. She cuts as many strips as possible and then uses the smaller pieces to cut squares in these sizes.
I currently have a large basket of scraps that need to be cut so that I can have them when I need them…..
I always say that I am going to cut after every project but we all know that is just something I say to myself to make me feel better.!!
One of the things I have struggled with is how to store my strips. I started out by trying to keep them in stacks by color, but that was quickly messed up. I tried putting dividers in my drawers, but that didn’t last long either. Finally, I just threw them all in drawers and would pull them out when I need them.
The problem was that the strings became tangled, causing the edges to shred, and making them harder to use.
In one of Bonnie’s recent posts, she talked about her strip storage method of putting like colors together, folding them over, and putting them in Ziploc bags. This appealed to me greatly and I decided that I needed to do it immediately!!
I started by pulling out the drawers that held one particular size of strip…. 2 inch in this case.
Next, I sorted them into basic color groups. It looks better already!!!….
I took each group to the ironing board laying out the strips flat on top of one another and giving a quick press every few strips….
If the strip stack started getting too big, I simply started another one….
After I finished with one color of strips, I rolled them loosely together……
……and placed them in a gallon-size Ziploc bag…..
I did not seal the bags up in order to allow air to be able to circulate around them.
Here is the final solution for the 2 inch strips…..
I kept going until I had finished all four sizes of strips and then moved on to my crumbs. When I was making the crumb blocks, I sorted one drawer of crumbs and put those in zip-lock bags as well. Today I sorted the 2nd drawer and added them all together. This is SO much better…..
So I will say “THANK YOU BONNIE” and go to bed knowing that ALL of my strips and crumbs are ready for use!!