This week I finished up a small project that had been in my mind for a few weeks, and one which is a very different style for me.
Back in August, my friend Deb H. and I spent a day doing glue resist dyeing. Here is the original post. One of the pieces that I created was a simple vase of flowers and I knew almost immediately what I wanted to do with it.
The first step was to add some embroidery to the background. I used examples from a fairly recent article in Quilting Arts Magazine. The only difference was that the examples there used nice quality variegated threads and all I had were some cheap ones that I had bought some time back. But, I persevered and came up with a fairly nice background.
I felt that the vase and flowers needed to be highlighted too, so I trapuntoed them with 2 extra layers of batting.
I am NOT a paisley person, but this old fabric from my stash called to me and so I succumbed and used it as the final border.
The quilting was fairly straight forward, and I was happy to complete the quilt so quickly.
I took it to my local charity bee and, while showing them the finished product, realized that I didn’t like it because several of the threads were too light in color and the detracted from the background. So, while we were looking at another member’s quilt where she had painted many of the designs, I thought about using fabric pens and coloring over the “too bright” threads.
Voila …..I like it MUCH better now.