First of all, I need to jump ahead to a post that I haven’t written yet…..
Last week, I took a class from Linda Cantrell and I still haven’t blogged about it, but I want to jump forward to something that she showed and tell how it relates to what I did today.
She showed us two small quilts that she has made…..
She then showed us how she uses a Clorox Bleach Pen…..
…..to make the shadings in her vase. Working with a shape similar to her vase, she uses the small tipped end of the pen to draw onto the fabric. After a few minutes, the bleach discharges the color in the fabric, leaving a wonderful design (see the brown design on the left)……
Now, let’s fast forward to this afternoon. I have been looking for another project to try more hand applique and thought that one of these types of wallhangings would be fun to work on and doable to finish.
I started out by searching my computer and the internet for photos of sunflowers, stems and leaves, coming up with these (among others)….
My plan is to make a vase that holds a single sunflower, along with several leaves.
Next I started looking for vase pictures…..I know that I could draw one pretty easily but always feel more comfortable with having something to look at. I found this one…
I used my copier and played with all of the patterns until I got it the size that I wanted it.
THEN, I started thinking about Linda’s technique of using the Clorox Bleach pen so, after a quick run to the store, I was ready to give it a try.
After looking at this design, I decided to try to replicate it by cutting it out as a stencil and using the bleach to take the color out of the fabric.
I quickly realized that the color would never discharge completely, so I took of the paper and washed the fabric. Here is the result…..
You can see that I did a bit of bleach doodling around the edges as well!!!
It didn’t look like much until I put the vase outline over it…..
My original thought was to use colored markers to fill in the spaces, but finally decided to simply use a black Pigma pen to add some outlines. I also added a little bit of color in the flower centers. Finally, I realized that the contour lines at the top of the vase had spread and gotten too big, so I used another marker to make them slimmer and to add a bit of shadowing…..
The final step was to prepare it for appliqueing, this time using Linda Cantrell’s method of preparation….I will blog about that later….
I am REALLY excited about this result. Now I guess that I need to go back and finish designing the wallhanging, but in any event, I had a GREAT afternoon!!!