If you have been reading this blog for the last little bit, you have heard the saga of the Christmas pineapple quilt. To make a long story short…..
- I kept changing my mind about how to make it
- It doesn’t have a “hook” and I think that it is pretty boring
- I used my new Wool Pressing mat and ended up being allergic to it. Consequently, I was also allergic to the quilt top!!
Continuing on, I sent it to a friend to quilt and she had problems with it too. First of all, she had tension issues and had to take out a lot of quilting. THEN, she wasn’t happy with the backtracking on the pantograph and wanted to re-do the ENTIRE thing. I said ABSOLUTELY not!! It was at this point that Michael gave it the name of the Quilt from “you know where”!!
So, the goal for today was to get it trimmed and get the binding put on, and I DID IT!!
I started out by making yards and yards of binding, using lots of strips of Christmas fabrics……
Once the binding was made and ready to attach…..
….it was time to square up the top. I had planned to use the laser square but realized that there wasn’t any border on the edge so basically I just “squared” it up based on the edge of the piecing. It may not be exactly square, but it will be finished!!!
As I was sewing all of these bits and pieces together to make the binding, I kept thinking of all of the joins that I would have to miss at the corners. And, sure enough, it was the very first corner that I came to…..
ARGH!!!! I cut some of the strip off and reattached the rest of the binding and off I went again!!
In case you haven’t figured this out, I was really ready to get the quilt finished and was putting the pedal down when I was sewing the long stretches, and then…..
Of course I ran out of bobbin thread…..about half of a side back!!! Will I NEVER finish this quilt!!!
As I finished sewing the first pass on the binding, I realized that I don’t know what color of thread to use when I sew the binding on the top. I normally try to use something that matches so that the stitching doesn’t show but, since I had used lots of different fabrics, that wasn’t possible. Finally, I noticed that the quilting had been done with a creamy gold thread so I used that for the binding. It worked well and, before I knew it, I had finished the quilt.
It immediately went into the washing machine to get rid of all of the things that I was allergic to and then off to be displayed on the bed…..
It will be a great addition to our Christmas decorations and, most importantly, I can put it in the FINISHED column!!!