This quilt was made in 1997 and is the November quilt that hangs in my entry way. I found the pattern for the Cornucopia and executed it with Machine Satin Stitch. I was excited to be able to use a marbled fabric in the corn husk. This had been dyed in a guild workshop.
The border blocks were an appliqued version of the “Turkey Tracks” block and the pieced turkeys came from some block pattern that I found and translated it into squares and half-square triangles.
After finishing the top, I realized that the back fabric was simply too white and garish and did not look good in the quilt. I debated for some time about whether or not to Tea Dye it, but wasn’t really happy about dipping the entire top into a vat of strong, boiling tea. My friend, Sandy, came to the rescue when she suggested that I do the stipple quilting using a light tan thread and let the thread take the edge off of the white. Up until now, I had only machine quilted with monofilament thread.
I was really pleased with the final result!!