Today I worked on a project that has been in my UFO bin for about FIFTEEN years!!!
It started out as a full size Christmas quilt for my bed. It was in the days where I hadn’t done a lot of machine quilting and had never tried quilting anything as large as this one, so I decided to hand quilt it…..GULP!! I used a “quilt-as-you-go” technique where you put sets of blocks together, baste and quilt them and then put all of the sets together to form the final quilt.
I had made the first two strips, each consisting of three blocks. Life then got in the way, and I lost interest in the project. It was relegated to the top shelf of my bedroom closet….in my mind, it didn’t even qualify for placement in my studio. I had even thought several times about throwing it away.
Last year, I made a list of my UFO’s and suddenly remembered this one so I added it to the list. This was how it looked at that time……
As I looked at it, I decided to turn it into a lap quilt of three rows of 2 blocks each. I have thought about this project over the last few days and kept trying to come up with a grand plan for doing this, but finally decided to just START the project and let it take me where it would.
It has taken several “finagles” to make the design work, but I am pleased with the overall results. There is still some quilting to be done on it (by machine) and a bit of hand quilting to be taken out, but that can happen later when I am looking for a quick project to fill a few hours.