What was I thinking…..

On Monday, I planned to get the backing ready so that I could start quilting on the Flower Pot quilt.  Since I didn’t have any fabric pieces that were big enough for the back, I decided that I would piece one together.

I initially wanted an accent strip so made a stripe using strips from my 2-1/2 inch drawer along with some from a Jelly Roll that I bought long ago…..

_C176976

OK….good start.

Next I found some samples that I had made when I was teaching a mini class on using Elmer’s Glue as a dye resist.  The class had to be postponed and never was rescheduled so I still had all of the samples….

_C176977

I spent about an hour washing out the glue (it had REALLY dried in the past 3 years and took a lot of soaking and scrubbing) and getting the fabric ready to use. 

Then I started adding different lengths of fabric, trying to come up with a pleasing arrangement.   Here is the final……

_C186984

I am not SUPER happy with it, but at least, after SIX hours, it is finished!!!!

I spent some time online looking at other quilter’s backs and think that my main problem is that I tried to use too many different fabrics.  It would have been better for me to have one or two much larger pieces, and only have one or two “accent” pieces.  

That realization also means that I need to start buying larger pieces of fabric when I see ones that are good for backs.

On with the quilting…….

4 thoughts on “What was I thinking…..

  1. It's always fun to find something more than a single piece of fabric on the back. I like it, especially since you were able to make it happen with what you already had in your stash.

I love to hear from my readers....please leave a comment