It worked…..sort of……

After my poor dyeing experience on Thursday, I was not deterred and decided that I WOULD figure out how to do a gradation dye. And I did…..sort of!!!

As I researched the “how-to’s” further, I realized that I had probably added too much dye powder to begin with and then left it in the activation bath for way too long, especially since that bath was supposed to deepen and darken the dye!!!

So, on Saturday morning, I started over again, but on a MUCH smaller scale…..

I only let the fabric dye for about 15 minutes in total, with the center area only being in the dye for about 5 minutes. When I added the activator, I continued to dip the fabric rather than letting it all sit in the dye bath, and I only activated for about 5 minutes…..

When I started the rinsing process, I was encouraged with the difference in colors that I could see……

….and when I hung it on the design wall, there was a definite gradation…….

The only problem is that I really don’t like the dullness of the color!!! But, I really DO like the way that THIS fabric looks……

And, I still want to try to do some sort of gradation in the center section…..something along this line……

So, I thought that maybe I had other black/grey fabrics that would work, but we all know just how many different colors of black exist in this world. These are a few in my stash…..

So, I bit the bullet and got online to order several black and grey shades from the same collection…..Moda Marbles!!

I will wait (hopefully patiently) while they arrive and then I can continue on my Color Wheel journey!!!

Advertisements

I love to hear from my readers....please leave a comment