Sarah asked to see a closer photo of the threadwork, so here is one without any size restrictions. Just click on the photo and it should end up huge on your screen……
And Sarah, I have no idea if I “laid down the threads” correctly or not….I just did whatever would work!!!!
AND….after I just looked at it up REALLY close, I realized that I dont have any of her long whiskers and eyelashes showing so I may try to add some during the quilting process (which hopefully starts in just a few minutes!!!)
Today (Friday), I decided that I needed a break from work…..after all it is past “Tax Day”, so I planned to hit my studio around Noon. The plan was to work on the Camel thread painting, but I just couldn’t motivate myself in there to work.
I finally realized why….I was scared to work on it because I was afraid that I would mess it up!!!! I was reminded of a post that I had read from Leah Day where she was talking about this exact thing, and her comment was that “it was only a fat quarter of fabric”, so why worry about it. I realized that the same thing applied to me, so with that in mind, I headed AWAY from my desk and TOWARD the machine.
I decided that I would give myself one hour and then re-evaluate. At the end of the hour, I LOVED what I was doing and definitely wanted to keep on going.
Here are some photos of the progress…..
When you last saw it, it looked like this……
My first step was to finish filling in the highlight areas and remove the blue lines. Then I filled the other spaces with simple lines, trying to be careful to get the line directions correct……
I then sketched over the larger areas with a slightly lighter color of thread, and then again with an even lighter shade.…..
The next step was to work on the “basket” in the background. I decided early on that I wasn’t going to worry if it looked like a basket, but just wanted to include a little more texture……
I then added some crossed lines…….
Final step was a bit of shading and also some darker threads around the camel to make him stand out a bit from the background.
I picked two fabrics for the borders, and, voila…..the top is finished…..
It has been a fun piece and I really enjoyed the thread painting. Maybe I will try more of it in the future!!!!
I am always amazed at where inspiration can come from. This past week, my husband and I were watching the Michael Palin documentary about the Sahara Dessert, and up came this wonderful shot of a great camel. My sweet husband immediately paused the show so that I could use my phone to take a photo of the TV screen….
I opened the photo in Photoshop and applied the “posterize” function and came up with this…..
Next, I covered the photo with a piece of “overhead projector” paper and traced this out with a sharpie……
I picked out some fabrics and fused these three pieces together, traced the basic lines with a blue washable pen…..
I added a piece of interfacing to the back of the fabric and started stitching…..
At this point, my work life has taken over and I haven’t had time to get back to him, but I cant wait for a few minutes to add a bit more personality to him.
It is a bit daunting to work on because I know that I can so easily ruin the picture by simply using the wrong thread or shading the wrong area!! Having said that I am doing the most important thing……