On Thursday I told you about the start of my “two for the price of one” challenge!!
When I left you, I had cut and pieced the first set of duet strips for the background squares…..
But, I wasn’t happy with them.
I wanted the blocks to have lots of strips in them to add interest….
…and these were simply TOO wide!!
So, I started cutting the strips down and re-sewing them together again.
I knew that this would use even more fabric so at this point…..
Please tell me that you do this too!!
I kept adding strips one at a time…..
….until I had a strip set that was the width that I needed.
Now it was time to cut the squares and this took a bit more planning…..
The unfinished squares need to be 5.5 inches and I am going to piece a curve in the corner. Since I know that I may lose a bit of size with piecing the curve, I wanted the squares to be a bit bigger than needed.
BUT, since I am working with fat-quarters and still want to make the best use of the fabric, I needed to know the maximum number of squares that I could get from my strip set.
That number was 3 squares out of the “almost 18-inch” strip.
Since the strip wasn’t quite 18-inches, I settled on 5-7/8’s inch squares.
Yes, that is getting a bit picky, but the sizes need to be exact to produce the needed 20-inch quilt!!
And it got even crazier after that as I started adding the curves…..
Come back next week for more!!
If you have an interest in ruler quilting, check out this online course…..