When I left you yesterday, I had made a bunch of Square-in-a-Square blocks and was bemoaning the fact that they were fairly boring when set side by side!!
However, I did like this arrangement better……
AND, since I had already cut a bunch more of the inside squares, the fillers HAD to include them!!
After thinking a bit, I decided to simply add strips around each side of the blocks, starting with one side…..
….pressing them out to the strips…..
….and then adding the opposite strips…..
I purposely made these strips a bit wider than needed so that I could trim the block down to the EXACT size!!
To help with lining them up, I used a water-soluble marker to modify my 6.5-inch ruler…..
I placed the ruler on the block, being sure to line up the diagonal lines to each of the corners of the inside square…..
Since my ruler was the exact size of the needed block, I simply cut around all four sides…..
….and my block was ready to use…..
I matched the two designs into pairs…..
…always pressing AWAY from the point.
Before I knew it, the quilt top was finished…..
I love the movement that comes from the on-point squares and the straight squares!!
It reminds me of some of the “jewel matching” games on my iPhone…..
Maybe I need to make one with LOTS of different jewels on it!!
BUT….now I am thinking about other ways that I can modify the alternating blocks….the wheels are definitely spinning!!!