When we last left this challenge, it looked like this…..
I quickly finished the 2-1/2 inch square border but there it sat while we traveled and I caught up with my accounting work.
This week I have had some time to work on the project again with the first step being piecing the piano key border. The first problem was that I didn’t have enough keys cut to finish the border, so I had to do some fancy piecing…..
….and some of the seams got REALLY small…..
Even after all of my fancy piecing, I was still a few inches short but added a little bit of two new fabrics to allow enough for the border. Having said that, there was not enough to make a full border so I ended up having to add corner squares….
At this point,the piano key border was 3.5 inches wide.
Now is where the rub comes in….. I still had some tiny slivers of fabric left so decided that I would put them together to make a new fabric to be used somewhere in the quilt.
I took a base fabric, covered it will fusible web and started laying out strips of the left over fabrics…..
After ironing it down, I pulled out some fun threads…..
….and attached the fabrics….
My thinking is that I would make circles that could sit in the cornerstone squares and they turned out looking great…..
Then came the new design opportunity (ie…mistake). As I was attaching the first piano key border, I decided that it would look better if it was smaller….a LOT smaller. So, I grabbed the rotary cutter and whacked off almost half of the border. It looked a lot better, but then I realized that I had now made the border so small that the perfectly formed circles would not fit anymore…..ARGH!!!!
Since there wasn’t much that I could do to fix it, I decided to go ahead and attach the final border and then figure out what the quilt needed. At this point, I had these leftover strips from the wrongly-cut border….
I was really wanting to have circles somewhere in the outer borders to continue the theme from the center of the quilt. As I looked at these pieces, I realized that some of them were big enough to cut a 1 inch circle out of…….
Then came the agonizing decision of exactly what I was going to do with these perfect circles. I started out thinking that I would put the circles all along the outer border…..
I also considered a tiny, tiny strip of mini keys in the middle of the border (see the bottom one) but quickly canned that idea.
By now, I was tired of trying to come up with ideas so I called down to Michael and asked him to come up and have a look. He really liked the circles in the borders but commented that it should be asymmetrical and not have circles all around the piece.
BINGO….that was exactly what I was thinking in the back of my mind, but it hadn’t made it to the front of my mind yet!!!
Thus, with help from the Hubby, the top was finished…..
3 thoughts on “Use It Up Challenge…..FINALLY….”
Well done to Michael. I really like where you have placed the circles, exactly right.
Wow, I'm not usually crazy about scrappy quilts but I think this top is fantastic!
The process may have sent you crazy but the end result is definitely worth all the effort. It looks great!