I had called this my “thinking” quilt because I thought that it would take a lot of brain-power and would probably take a long time to do. Because of some choices that I have made along the way……I was WRONG!!
The first decision was a biggie…..to keep it more abstract and not worry about obtaining the full perspective. I had talked about this in my last post but was still a bit concerned about it when I got to the bigger of the steps…..
Were these larger posts (circled in orange) going to look bad if they were a solid piece? AND, if I didn’t have the stair points that stick out (circled in green), would that interfere with the visual aspect?
Rather than piecing it both ways to see, I turned to my computer and used digital fabric to cover the edges and see how it looked (Michael’s suggestion!!!).
This was the center section that was ALMOST complete (I had pieced and un-pieced the next section 3 times and had given up for the night)……
It even shows some of the “stair points”.
And, this is how it looked after the digital “trimming (note….I will not trim the actual fabric quite this thin)!!……
When you look at them side-by-side, I just don’t see enough difference to warrant the extra time and energy…..
Does that make me a bad person????
So, I went upstairs, sewed on the last set of stair strips and the took my rotary cutter to it and trimmed all of the edges off!!!….No going back…….NEXT!!!
Now it was time to start thinking about the sides…..
I quickly realized that the “glass” sections should mirror the “glass” sections of the middle……ie they should be grey and should change in value as they move up the piece.
I had in my mind that the smaller strips would be in colors with the color changing as it came to the curved lines in the photo, but had no idea about what colors to choose. This is where providence stepped in!!!
While I was looking for possible colors, my eyes landed on this piece of fabric……
I had a yard if it and wondered if it might work, alleviating the need for ME to do the gradations as it came to those curved lines.
The only way to find out was to try it so I drew out the pattern and started piecing. When I put it on the wall, I was pretty sure that this was what I wanted…..
…but once I had the entire side done, I was positive about it…..
Tomorrow we will look at the process of piecing the other side….mistakes included!!
5 thoughts on “Kew Quilt Update”
Wow! It’s looking great, Frances!
I am amazed at your ability to visualize and then produce!
Great way to sort out a solution.
And how interesting that the right fabric turned up at the right time.
You are flying through this one.
agree points weren’t essential but YES, YES, YES!!! Perfect fabric. I luv gradations! This is gonna be stellar!