A little ways back I posted a video about how to spray baste a quilt. As I mention there, it was a charity quilt top that was given to me so that I could practice some quilting.
I normally quilt with a 50 weight thread and have been happy with the results, but when I was at the Houston show last year, I started thinking about trying some heavier threads. I bought three, two 30 wt Aurifil threads……
…..and one 12 wt Superior thread…..
I did a little bit with the rulers but didn’t have much luck with making it look okay (sometimes it is just that way) so I ended up doing most of it freehand. These were both done with the Aurifil……
I did a very SMALL amount of quilting using the 12 wt thread but it kept breaking so I quickly put it aside.
For the border, I turned to an old favorite thread….a 30 wt Variegated Sulky…..
I did not end up spending as much time on this quilt as I had planned but am okay with how it turned out……
I have learned that I REALLY like working with the 30 wt threads but am not sure that I will ever use a 12 wt thread again…..at least not without a LOT of practice!!!
3 thoughts on “Quilting for Charity (and practice)”
I like the designs you put in the white spaces. I haven’t gotten beyond 50-weight thread yet. Maybe someday.
Great way to try out the threads. And a lovely end result, too.
I’ve been watching Alex Anderson and she uses a poly cotton blend. I am rethinking the whole thread issue as some of my older machine quilted quilts have lots of thread breakage with all cotton. Interesting!!!