On Saturday, I had one goal….finish quilting a piece that I started several years ago. I had been excited to use some of my new-found ruler technique and Thursday I had tried it out on one of the borders. I didn’t do any measuring nor really try the pattern so it was an unmitigated disaster!!.
On Friday night, I patiently pick out ALL of those stitches including all of the places that I had traveled over previous stitches.
When I started working on it again, I decided that I would do some practice and figure out the sizing of the design and do it right. This photo is three different tries with various spacings……
Once I thought that I had a good feel for the design, I tried it on the quilt. The design looked OKAY but not great and, when I looked at the back, I could see that the tension was horrible, so I picked it out AGAIN!!
Now I moved back to a practice piece and started trying every ruler that I could find and every 5 to 10 inches the thread would jump and wrap around the needle and, of course, cause a huge thread nest. Believe me, there were MANY spicy words spoken!!
I was describing what was happening to my husband, Michael, and had the thought that I needed to go thru my list of settings and see what was different. What I found was this……
The ruler foot has a spring at the back with a thumb-screw on top.
This determines how close the circular foot is to the fabric. If it is too close, it binds the fabric against the machine and it can’t move. If it is too high, the fabric moves around too much and the needle and bobbin thread cant nest properly and THE THREAD GOES HAYWIRE!!!
HURRAY….I figured out the problem.
At this point, there was no way I was going to work on an actual quilt so I spent the next 30 minutes just quilting all over my practice piece. This is what frustration looks like…..
At lunch, Michael mentioned that he needed to make a stand for a piece of steel that is used to protect equipment that he needs when doing firearm reviews. As we talked about possibilities, I started channeling my Dad (who loved to do projects like this) and thinking about how to build one from leftover lumber in the garage. Now the challenge was on!!!
I got all of my tools out…..
….and yes that is a quilting ruler!! I mean, what else does a quilter use when she wants to draw a straight line!!!
In a little over an hour, this was my accomplishment…..
It works perfectly and at least I accomplished something for the day. It is always amazing how the act of creating something makes my day!!
Tomorrow I will tackle the borders again…..maybe……or maybe I will start a new project!!
3 thoughts on “It was an “ARGGHHH” sort of day!”
I love the way you started off working with fabric and ended the day working with wood! Hope the quilting works out for you.
You certainly are a persistent problem solver!