Amber, our Daughter-In-Law came into our life back in 2006 and in July of 2010 she married our son Brian.
Amber trained as an art teacher and was in the classroom over 10 years, recently leaving the classroom to become an instructional coach. Back in the early days of her teaching I wanted to make something that could be used to decorate her classroom and, of course, it had to be a quilt!!
I had so much fun making this quilt with just a basic idea in mind……
At this stage of my quilting career, I was making quilts that were fairly traditional in nature, never having even thought about making an “art quilt”!! So, I laughingly call this my “First Art Quilt”!!
To start this post, I have to go back to September of 2013!!! I first posted about this piece HERE, working thru the process that I used to discharge the fabric vase.
Then I started working on the applique of the vase and Sunflowers, enjoying the process greatly…..
But, as with most UFO’s, other things cropped up and the project got stuck on top of the fabric shelves. Amazingly, before I threw it up there, I had finished all of the applique except for ONE flower petal!!!
When I unexpectedly had a few hours in my studio, I really wanted to accomplish something so I pulled out the top, quickly finished the applique and set it up for quilting.
It didn’t take long to have a fun, FINISHED project….
Now if all of my other UFO’s are as easy to finish, I will be one happy camper!!!!
This post has to start with the way that I decorate my house. I have lots of stuff that I like to put out, but too much to have out all at once. So, over the years, I have sorted all of my bits and bobs into seasons and have enjoyed changing things up as the year goes on.
Now, with the new house, I have needed to add some bits and pieces to fill in the spots, and thus begins this post….
Last year I didn’t have time to really decorate for Spring, so the Winter blues had to hang around until May, but this year I had time and energy to redecorate at the start of April. However, I simply couldn’t figure out what to put on one of the mantles!!
I knew that I wanted spring flowers and first decided to use one of the photos taken in China at the Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden….
I remembered reading in one of my blogs that you could get photos printed onto a wrapped canvas, so I enlarged the center section and sent it off to be printed. I was thrilled with the result….
The next addition to the mantle was a funky metal bird that I had found (cheap) at a local store….
I added a brass pitcher of yellow flowers and the mantle looked like this….
It was ok, BUT I felt like it needed something….maybe some more birds or something yellow???
Then this afternoon, I had time to do something creative, so I decided to make a yellow bird quilt, modeled after this one that I found on the internet…..
In about 45 minutes I had this “quilt” finished…..
….but after placing it on the mantle, it was still lacking, so I went back upstairs and made another one…..
And, now my mantle decorations are complete…..
AND….more importantly…..I made TWO, count them, TWO quilts in one afternoon…..AND during tax season!!
I can see my busy season coming to an end and am now excitedly thinking about upcoming creative projects, including a quilt based on a photo from inside the Blue Mosque in Istanbul!! CANT WAIT!!!
On Saturday, I felt good enough to spend some time upstairs in my studio. There were two projects that were ready for me to work on, but instead I did what any good quilter would do…..I started something new!!
This new project stemmed from a conversation with my 90 year old Mother where she was bemoaning the fact that she didn’t have any handwork to be doing, so I decided to start another one of our collaborative projects.
I picked a pattern that I had on hand…..one by Piece O’Cake Designs…..
I first found this fabric and think that I will work my colors around it…..
But, I wanted to change things around a bit, so decided to use dark backgrounds and pastel flowers……
I will probably need to buy a few more dark blues and purples before I am thru, but have enough to get started.
I had a lot of fun plowing thru my fabrics and coming up with pastels that would work…..
A few years back I realized that much of my stash was made of darks and medium fabrics, especially bright ones, so I have been trying to make a conscious effort to add some lighter colors. From the looks of this table full of fabric, I think that I have accomplished my goal!!!
I had a fun few hours of picking fabrics and getting them fused on and ready to send to Mom. Here are the first two….
When I get the next two done, I will send them to Mom who will perform her magical Buttonhole Stitch around the shapes. As always, my biggest task will be to keep up with her!!!
Oh yeah, I have had few more “mini pep talks” from my throat lozenges….