The last step on my Meadow Art project is to add the daisies. In my last blog installment about this project, I showed some of my attempts and concluded that the best way to do them was to do the initial work on the machine and then use embroidery floss to finish the petals (#4).
THEN, I started thinking about using Perle cotton in the bobbin and working the flowers from the back. The first few attempts were not successful as I didn’t have the tension set correctly……
I kept changing settings until it looked like this…..
Those are better and would work for another type of flower, but not for these daisies!!
I made several other tries using a smaller Perle cotton (size 5) in the needle but it just didn’t look right.
In the end, I moved back to my plan of machine work under and hand-work over.
I decided to color in the centers to give me an idea of exactly where I wanted the flowers to fall…..
….. and then stitched the first five flowers on the machine The two on the left have been finished completely with hand stitching and centers stitched……..
They are not nearly as good as the ones on the sample, but they do look good on the piece. I also noticed that the ones on the sample have some shading on certain sides of the petals so I am going to explore that further before I finish the artwork.
The important thing is that I am still enjoying this process and am already starting to think of other ideas that I want to do in this same format!!