Quilts and Other Stuff from Frances

Not a UFO…..

As I mentioned in the previous post, I was fortunate to enjoy a day and a half workshop with Rayna Gilman.

We started off with her process of making strip sets.  I started with this one……


They were very freeing to make and I could have spent hours making one after the other.  The problem that Rayna pointed out to me was that most of my fabrics were of medium values so she had me add some darker ones to the set.

Next, I took a square and started making cuts and inserting pieces one after the other.  At one point I cut the entire block in half and reversed the pieces.  This is my final result….unfortunately, this piece didn’t make it into the final quilt…..


After making a lot more blocks and playing with some strip sets that were left over from other projects, it was time to throw it all up on the design board…..


As Rayna came around and looked at my work, she made a very discrete comment that “you won’t necessarily be able to all of the pieces that you made in this one quilt”…… ie…these don’t really work together that well!!!

I will admit that, at this point in the process, I was struggling.  I felt like everything was so different and I couldn’t see anyway that it would ever turn into something.  I also was feeling that this was a process that was just TOO far out of my comfort zone!!!   I took a break and walked out of the room, convinced that this was not a process that I enjoyed.

Upon re-entering, I walked back over to the board and it hit me that the biggest problem was that all of my pieces were about the same size of strips….everything was on the small side.

I spent the next 30 minutes making a few larger blocks that only had a few pieces of fabric and then …..voila……DSC08448 

OK….maybe I am starting to like this better.   My friend Deb looked at it and suggested that I turn it on it’s side and give it a horizontal layout.  Rayna liked the idea too and used her I-Pad to take a photo and then rotate it to let me see what it would look like.

I continued working, adding some setting strips and, at Deb’s suggestion, another “window” unit.

This is what I left the workshop with (sorry it is blurry)……


So, two weeks later I started trying to finish up the project as I was determined NOT to have another UFO!!!

I tried adding tons of different borders, which I photographed and then deleted from the camera before I saved them to my computer….ooppss. 

As I was working, I glanced over at my sewing machine chair and noticed the “not so pretty” cover that I had thrown on to keep from putting marks on the wall when I would bump up against it…..

DSC08484I suddenly had the idea to use this piece to make a new cover and I was then excited to finish it off.

I added a really wide outer border on so that I would have plenty to work with and then sat down to do the quilting.   I used Rayna’s method of quilting with parallel, horizontal lines…..


After a bit of measuring, finagling, sewing, un-sewing and re-sewing, I now have a fun new cover for my chair…..


…..and NO unfinished project to add to the UFO stack!!!!!

2 thoughts on “Not a UFO…..

  1. Your chair cover is great. I'm so glad that you were able to see your way through the process that you were finding so difficult. Sometimes it helps to just walk away fro a while. The darker value fabric certainly made a difference. Good to try new techniques, even if it is only to discover that they are not really what we are likely to use again.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow Me

Share This Page

%d bloggers like this: