At the end of this past week, the builders were working on the drywall in the room and doing lots of sanding, etc so I didn’t really think that I should try to sew in the dust. I wanted to move my machine downstairs but couldn’t figure out where to sit so that my rolling chair wouldn’t ruin the wood floors.
Then…..I thought about setting it up in my office and just move my office chair over a bit and use the same chair mat. It was a bit cramped, but it worked…..
….and the biggest plus…..it is right there and ready whenever I have a few minutes to sew.
The first sewing that I did was on her arms, finally just deciding to do 1/4 inch echo quilting…..
Then I decided to tackle her face….the part that I have been dreading since the start of this project!! While I may be able to draw with fabric, I am NOT an artist where facial contours are concerned!! I spent one evening drawing on 20+ photos of her face, trying to get an idea of what quilting needed to happen…..
And then I quilted…..
…and it was YUCKY!!!
So I spent that evening carefully taking out every single stitch in her face!!! Fortunately, I was having a good day with my machine quilting so the stitches were pretty even.
Now I am stuck with what to do!! I cant decide if the problem is my line placement or the fact that the thread is too dark!!
I KNOW that her nose isn’t good, but I feel like the other lines are okay.
I may try printing her face onto fabric and do several tries before I work on the actual piece again.
And, if any of you have the artistic bent to tell me what I am doing wrong on her nose, PLEASE speak up!!!
Finally….my friend from India, talked to the girl’s grandmother and found out that her name is Mahek. It is an Urdu name and means perfume! How perfect is that!!!