This is a story about a UFO….. one that had been around for 11 years!!
It started back in 2007 when Michael and I spent two months in Oxford, England while he was a Visiting Research Fellow at Oxford University. London was a mere 45 minutes by train so we spent as much time there as we could.
As we rode the London Underground, I became aware of how the people sitting across from me changed as the ride went on. At every stop someone would get off and someone else would take his/her place.
In October of 2009 these thoughts rose to the top of my brain and I decided to make a quilt with this idea. I spent a long time searching the internet for pictures of people to add to my train car and, using Photoshop, I was able to get an idea of what I wanted…..
Note….my proudest part of this photo is that I took another person’s legs and feet and added them to the young man on the left!!!
I started out using a machine applique technique where you prepare the piece for applique, glue it to the next piece and then zig-zag over the intersection with a mono-filament thread. After doing the first person using this technique I decided to switch to fusible applique.
Anyway….here is where it stood when I stopped working on it…..
And it has been weighing on my mind ever since!!!
Today, I pulled it out for the last time….determined to either finish it or scrap it…..and SCRAP IT won!!
These were my thoughts…..
- My skills have progressed far beyond this first attempt
- It is larger in format than I typically work on now.
- There is too much difference in technique in the faces. The boy has very few shades while the woman (actually based on a photo of me) has too many shades and the little girl doesn’t work at all…..
The only part that I was REALLY happy with were the child’s hands…..
- I would basically need to start over and I am not interested in doing that
As I thought further, I remember that I learned SO much when I started this project….first about using Photoshop and then about designing faces. I also over-dyed a bunch of the fabrics which was a first for me.
The bottom line is that it was a great project for it’s time but that time is past and it is time to….
So….all of the fabric came off of the wall and out of the project box and added back into my stash.
It was exciting to find all of the skin-tone fabrics that I had collected those many years ago…..
Many of these were hand-dyed by my friend Anita and it was fun to see all of her tags reminding her of the recipe for each of the pieces…..
Now that this project is out of my head, I need to figure out exactly what big project I want to work on next!!!!