My Fiber Frenzy group set a challenge for our last meeting…..creatively using scraps in a project.
I had planned to make a sunflower quilt to be given to Deb (my friend and Co-Chair for the past quilt show) so I decided to “scrap it up”!!
First step….pull out all of the yellow/gold scrap strips…..
Next, sew them onto an interfacing base…..
I then photocopied the strips and tried cutting petals and experimenting with the placement…..
I cut some petals with the stripes across the petals…..
Some with the stripes running the length of the petal…..
But my favorite was with the stripes running diagonally…..
Next, I made the center of the flower, using a technique from a book by Nancy Eha. It is called elevated beading and you begin by setting a base of beads with another bed on top of it. The new line of beads are woven thru the upper beads….
When I added this center onto the original flower, it looked dowdy and not at all how I saw it in my mind’s eye.
I was about ready to give up and start over with the flower, when I thought….maybe I can add some paint. SO….out came the gold Set-A-Color paint and I used it to soften the colors of the flower and the leaves as well.
I used more paints to stamp the inspirational words on the background.
Next step was to find a border….
Of course this step requires pulling out hoards of fabrics to try….
Here is the finished piece…… a happy use of my scraps and a “thank you” quilt for a wonderful friend…..
3 thoughts on “Scrap Challenge”
Fabulous! I really enjoyed seeing your process.
Love it! Great colors.
I love this and it was really interesting to read the process. Bet she loves it.