Ok….let me start this post by saying that, until a few months ago, I had no recollection of ever hearing the word “Ombre”, as opposed to “Hombre” which , as a Texan, I had heard all of my life. It is a word that seems to be all the rage right now so I wasn’t surprised when it showed up in our guild challenge.
Here were the rules for this fun challenge…..
Ombré (pronounced omb-ray) is a French word meaning “shaded”. It means having tones of color that blend into each other, graduating from light to dark. Think of the color gradations on paint chips, for instance. Ombré is a trendy and popular design element in everything from clothing to nail polish to hair color, and of course, quilts.
The first part of your challenge is to play with color values and create a quilt with ombré design elements. It could be monochromatic, showing shades of a single color. It could be a two tone quilt with one color blending into another or a rainbow quilt involving a whole spectrum of colors- we just want to see gradations in color, no matter how you choose to do it.
The second part of the challenge is to dive into your scrap basket and include them in this quilt. Your challenge quilt should have at least 50% fabric scraps, defined as smaller pieces of fabric left over from other projects. We are working on the honor system here. Feel free to swap fabric scraps with your friends!
As usual, we had 6 months to make this quilt and also as usual, I didn’t start on it until the week before!!! I had continued to try to come up with ideas but couldn’t find anything that really caught my imagination. Then, as I was looking on Amazon for books that I could put on my Christmas Wish List, I came across a super simple block and decided that I wanted to use it as the basis for my quilt.
To keep with the mandate of using at least 50% scraps, I opened my bin of 1.5 inch strips…..
….and started pulling any dark blue fabrics that had at least 10 inches in length. Then I started pulling various other colors…blues, purples, pinks, peach’s and greens. Once everything had been pulled and sorted a bit, it looked like this…..
I then took the darkest blue fabric from the top left column and added it to the lightest purple on the bottom right column and started making random blocks, continuing to match up the left column fabrics with the right and center columns.
When I first laid them out, I was pleased with the results…..
In the end I decided that I really didn’t want the green blocks….except for one at the very bottom and this ended up as my final layout…..
In this photo I was also auditioning various fabrics for a border around the medallion.
In the end, I decided to use a mottled white fabric for the four corners and to move the border out away from the medallion.
By the way, I did NOT do a good job of cutting the four setting triangles and ended up cutting SQUARES rather than triangles!! Fortunately, there was enough fabric for me to try again but I really need to think thru the math to do this properly next time.
Now it was time to do the quilting and my thought was to do a lot of circles on the medallion and straight lines in the background. The circles went great and as I quilted them I kept seeing the dark blue 1 inch lines that dominated the block piecing. I finally decided to extend these lines into the border and do some filler quilting inside them. While trying to think of filler ideas I ended up looking at my IQA quilt show photos, noting down the ideas as I saw them…..
Then it was upstairs to try a few of them on fabric……
And the winner was this super easy squiggle on the left.…..
I loved doing this simple quilting and even took the time to bury all of my threads as I went (another of my “do it the right way first” resolutions that I made after the quilt show)…..
My original idea had been to quilt something else in the other channels which were 1.25 inches wide, but I was so pleased with the texture that showed, I decided to leave it the way it was.
Here is the finished product……
…and I am super happy with how it turned out.
And for those of you who ask, no I didn’t see the dark heart in the center of the top until AFTER it was completely pieced together!
Once again, a challenge led me to make a quilt that I am proud of and helped me to stretch myself to try some new things!!!
4 thoughts on “The Ombre Challenge”
OK, now I really want to make a quilt called “bad ombré”… 😂
As usual, you took up the challenge and ran with it! It is so great to read about your creative process 🙂
Amazing! What a spectacular quilt. Luved your process and the 3d effect in this quilt makes this 'sombre a real character!!! ❤
This is a beautiful quilt. I have been extra inspired by your blog in the past couple of months. Sharing your adventures and process is helping me to look a little deeper into the thoughts and techniques in my projects, too. Thank you for that!