…..although some of my recent work didn’t prove it!!
I was working on a Quilt of Valor using a panel and fabric pack that had been provided by my guild’s Charity Bee……
The first problem was that the panel wasn’t printed straight and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t get it to be completely straight……
I finally just picked a point and trimmed the excess fabric off…..
This is when the math wheels fell off!!!!
I had decided to add a 2-inch checkerboard border around the panel so the center panel height and width needed to end up being even numbers. I measured, calculated, re-calculated, cut, and sewed the borders on. Then I measured again……NOOOOOOO!!
When I had planned the vertical border, I failed to include the 1/2 inch needed for seam allowances!!! Instead of unpicking those long seams, I opted to just trim the seam allowance off…..
I now re-cut the borders being sure to add the additional 1/2 inch. What I DIDN’T account for was the 1/2 inch that I trimmed off…..AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH! Fortunately, I figured this out before I sewed them back on again.
At this point, I had run out of the fabric that I was using for the border!! So I trimmed off the bottom and top seam allowance and started over again with a different fabric!!! You can be sure that I added a bit more than I thought I needed. It was a tense moment as I measured the piece to see if I had given myself enough room…..
Now I could move on to making four the four patches and, fortunately, things went better from there. At the end of the day, this was where it stood……
So tomorrow I will take a few math classes and then keep working to grow this piece to an acceptable size!!!