I have continued to work thru the stack of 200 six-inch squares that I received from my guild charity bee, making two quilt tops so far.
Now I was down to some rather dull and uninteresting browns and reds!!
I started by cutting them in half on the diagonal…..
Then I sewed a 1.5 inch strip of light brown fabric to one edge…..
It was pressed to the strip and then another triangle was added to the other side of the strip…..
Now it was time to trim the blocks down to a usable size. I used a trick that I had learned when making the pinwheel quilt a few weeks ago….
First, I used a water-soluble marker to draw a line 1/2 inch on each side of the ruler diagonal…..
Now it was easy work to line the drawn lines up to the actual block…..
…and they were all quickly trimmed.
Next I did the same thing with the lighter fabrics, this time using a dark strip down the middle.
As I laid out the first few blocks, I KNEW what I was going to do with them…..
I pulled more squares, adding some green into the mix as well, and also added a few fabrics from my personal scrap square box.
After I had all of them made, I wanted to ensure that I laid out the blocks in a fairly random pattern so put them into plastic tubs that I would pull out of without looking…..
After I got it on the design wall, I made a few tweaks to the placement and started sewing.
As I sewed the blocks, I did notice two holes in one of the squares……
….so I had to do a bit of rip and replace!!
Before long, the quilt top was finished……
I love the depth that comes from the mixture of darks and lights and am super happy with this “Hugs and Kisses”….”Naughts and Crosses”……”Tic, Tac, Toe”…..quilt!!
For the record, I have used 142 of the 6-inch squares and this is what I am left with……
Hmmmm….wonder what will come next!!!