In my last post, I took you thru the creating of the inside of my Brown Scrap Strip quilt. As I mentioned there, I made WAY too many brown strip sets and was determined to not let any of them go to waste…..
So, it was imperative that the border contain as many of those strips as I could cram in. I started with laying them out end to end but that was just BORING!!!
Next I thought about the block design….
….noticing that the brown came to a point in each of the blocks.
HMMMM…wonder if I could emulate that in the border??? I made a few test blocks and decided that I had hit on the answer…..
I also made the decision to put a 2 inch background strip as the first border so that the striped border would float.
The only problem with this design was figuring out how long each of the strip sets needed to be to reach the edge of the quilt. TOO MUCH MATH…. So, I did the next best thing and decided to make them different sizes so I could “fudge” it to fit.
I would love to say that the process of making these border blocks was well thought out, the fabric sizes were properly calculated and cut. But, the truth of the matter is that I cut big, sewed and trimmed to size!!
I used the Essential Triangle Tool to cut the initial points and used my trusty painters tape to mark the edges of the strip so that the points were always in the middle of the strip…..
I love this measurement on one of my smaller rulers. It made trimming the point super easy.
To finish the top, I added another strip of background fabric to finish the “float”.
And at last the final seam was sewn…..
…and I was able to hang the finished top on the wall and step back to admire it…..
Of course the next question is how to quilt it….. but that decision can wait for a while….