Quilts and Other Stuff from Frances

To Trek or Not To Trek


….that is certainly the question on our minds right now!!

We are booked into a Himalaya Trek starting 4 weeks from today and are trying to make a decision about whether or not we will travel to Nepal in the aftermath of the Earthquake.

If you had asked this morning, I would have told you that we probably were not going, but this afternoon we talked to the people at REI and they have given us a little bit of hope  that we may still be able to make the trip. 

The earthquake was centered between the cities of Kathmandu and Pokhara, but apparently the waves moved mostly to the East (to Kathmandu and Mount Everest) and did not affect the Annapurna Ranges which are Northwest of Pokhara.   This is the area that we will be trekking in.

REI has spoken with their workers and guides in Nepal and reported that all of their assets (hotels, roadways, etc) were unaffected.  They have cancelled the Trek that was supposed to start on May 4th, but are still hopeful that the next one will be a go.   They will make their final decision based on the conditions as time progresses.  They will especially monitor any damage from aftershocks in the next few days and also will want to make sure that bringing “tourists” into the area will not hamper the relief efforts.

SSOOOOO……we wait….maybe not so patiently!!!!   But maybe we will still get to see this before long…..

One thought on “To Trek or Not To Trek

  1. I was thinking about you and wondering if you would still be going. I imagine that the loss of tourism dollars in the aftermath is going to make things even harder for a lot of people who rely on it, so here's hoping that you can go and spend your money there!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow Me

Share This Page

%d bloggers like this: