A few weeks back I posted a video from Kunming China showing women doing their morning exercises using highly colored parasols. Over these past weeks, this inspiration has slowly moved from the back of my mind to the front of my mind!!! After a lot of contemplation (AND procrastination), I have made a start!!!
The first thing that I did was to pull some screen grabs off of the video…
They are not high quality images but they served their purpose. I printed them out in black and white and used a sharpie to trace around several of the ladies in each of the poses…….
The good thing about using sharpie is that the ink soaks thru and you can see it from the back…..instant pattern!!…..
I picked out a couple of the pictures and enlarged them to the size that I was planning to work with.
Now it was decision time!!! How was I going to portray these wonderful women…..in fabric, in paint or in thread. At some point I had the idea to thread paint or quilt the women but add color for the parasols. This is the rabbit trail that I am currently heading down!!!!
For the first sample, I added a thin fusible interfacing to the back of the background fabric, traced the design, added the fabric parasol and machine stitched it…..
Then it was critique time…..
- First of all, I had used a white thread in the bobbin and the white stitching came thru….NOT good!!
- Second, I felt that the ribs on the parasol were too heavy
- Finally, I wasn’t sure exactly how I could quilt it and make the ladies stand out.
Let’s try again!!!
This time I decided to layer the quilt sandwich and actually quilt the design in. And to take it one step further, I added two layers of batting (Warm & Natural on the bottom and Wool on the top) so that it would have a Trapunto look……
I put in a few pins to hold the layers in place……
….and it was back to the machine for stitching, using the normal 50 wt thread for the bodies and a bobbin weight thread for the parasol ribs…..
I REALLY like this a lot better!! Now to fill in the background!!
I had done the initial stitching/quilting on my normal machine (Juanita) because I had better control for the details and also because I could use a smaller needle. But, for the filler quilting, I turned to Julio (sit-down long-arm) to make the process fast and effortless!!
This is where it stands now…..
As I have written this post, I started thinking about the fact that the background could also contain some shrubbery, trees or other foliage and that would give it even more interest, both in visual effects but also for the quilter!!
There is definitely more to come with this project……..I will get back to you…………….