Over the last 2 months, you have seen bits and pieces of my latest quilt called “Star Explosion”. When I last posted explicitly about the quilt, it was at this stage……
….and I had run out of cream-colored fabric!! I figured I needed 3 more yards and was starting to panic when I couldn’t find more. Finally, I found one store with 1-3/4 yards and another with 1-1/4 yards. THAT was a relief!!!!
Once I had the fabric in hand, it was time to decide where the quilt was headed next!!!
I felt that I needed to pull some of the “duller” colors in the center star to the outside of the quilt so I started playing with possibilities……
What about some smaller stars…..
YEP….that is where I am heading!!
My first thought was exactly HOW I was going to do all of the inset seams where the star meets the background, but I finally realized that I could piece the star first…..
and then add the background to the COMPLETED star…..
SO MUCH EASIER!!!
It was important for me to match the star points when I began adding these long strips and I used a four-part sewing process….
I would first match the points……
….and pin them into place…..
….carefully laying out the rest of the strip and pinning it well.
Next, I used a basting stitch to sew those points together…..
When they looked ok……
…..I went back and sewed the full seam using a normal stitch length…..
Yes, it was a bit time-consuming, but it meant that I didn’t need a lot of quality time with my seam ripper!!!
Now, the majority of the piecing is finished……
Come back tomorrow as I turn this fun design into a square-ish top!!
3 thoughts on “Star Explosion…the next chapter”
Those small stars on the outer edge look perfect. What an amazing design.
I really like the border. I think it needs another one with the star centered differently. Great work. I would never have tackled this. Loves hard Jodie
Thanks Jodie. I am happy with the final product!!