Marble Fabric must go!!

Back in the early 1990’s, I participated in a workshop where we marbled fabric. It was SO much fun!!

Now, back then I didn’t have a lot of money for quilting so some of the fabric was not great quality…..it was what I could afford at the time!!

Regardless, I came away with an amazing array of fabrics.

Then, 15 years later, one of my friends moved and gifted me with all of HER marbled fabrics too.

The bottom line is that I have a box FULL of marbled fabrics that are at least 30 years old….

IT IS TIME TO USE THEM!!!

There is a good range of fabrics and colors……

….and I needed a design that could handle all of those differences!!

Several months ago I posted a photo of a wall from the “Tower of London”….

…and in my “Marbles Must Go” delirium, I decided to go with this idea for the marbled fabrics.

I started out by cutting my marbled fabrics into 5-1/2-inch strips and adding a 1-inch navy strip to one side……

I then sub-cut the strips into 3-inch bricks and I quickly had a good set to play with…..

This is what I am thinking……

Make three (or more) panels of these pieces with wide blue borders in between.

I am hoping that the navy fabric will help to tame all of the different patterns and colors from the marbled fabrics.

What do you think?? Will it work???

Beautiful Sound Waves

A few weeks ago a reader sent me this photo…..

It came from an article about how scientists at Stanford University are using sound waves to understand and help with the healing process. Check out the full article here.

Wouldn’t these make AMAZING quilt patterns????

If you are interested, I found this video showing how sound travels thru sand to create these types of designs. You MAY want to turn the sound DOWN because the tones are pretty annoying!!

The Star Explodes Further

When I last left you the exploding star quilt as at this point…..

Now I had to figure out what to do next!! I felt that the duller colors from the inside star needed to be repeated in the outer part of the quilt but how was I going to do that?

I could add borders…..

NO!!!

I could alternate the colors in these borders…..

Um…..nope!!

I can extend the “baby blocks” out further…..

That’s a little too much!!!

I can add smaller stars…..

Hmmmm……that has possibilities!!!

So, I made a few small stars…..

Added strips to make it one piece….

…..and started laying it out…..

I think that I am going to like this!!!

60-degree diamonds….again!!

Back in June, I posted about some fabric that I had bought and the planning that had started for a quilt featuring 60-degree diamonds.

Since then I have spent an inordinate amount of time creating designs using these fabrics……

I loved all of them but knew that it was TIME to make up my mind.

So, one evening I headed to my studio with the idea that I WAS going to decide on a design!!

To find inspiration I grabbed an older book by Katie Pasquini (her name at that time)…..

As I was glancing thru it, I found this photo…..

HMMMM….wonder if I could make “cubes” of the fabric and put them in a circle…..

I tried some other configurations, even resorting to paper…..

…but couldn’t get the dimensions to work out right.

Then I hit upon this idea…..

Now THAT has promise!!

I kept adding rounds to it…..

…and I got more and more excited about it!!

At the end of the night, it was looking something like this…..

I am excited to go forward with this project.

Stay with me to see how it goes!!!

Luscious planning!!

Do you ever look at fabric colors and say that they are LUSCIOUS???

That is the word that comes to mind with these….

They are from the “Ruby & Bee” collection by Windham Fabrics and are the subject of a challenge from the Modern Quilt Guild!!

I read about the challenge, saw the fabrics, and decided I wanted to try it!!

As I posted last week, I enjoyed working with 60-degree triangles in the background for my “Vintage Lamb” baby quilt and would like to try some more of them, so why not for this challenge!!

I tried to figure out ways to play with design possibilities and finally decided that the best way was to go “old school”……cut out small diamonds and start moving them around!!

I cut strips of wonder-under and ironed them onto each piece of fabric….

I cut out the piece and fused it onto lightweight interfacing and then prepared to cut diamonds!!

The first step was to sub-cut the strip into three 1-inch strips….

I used the 60-degree mark on my ruler to get an accurate initial cut…..

Once I had that…..

It was quick work to cut at 1-inch intervals all along the strips…..

And, before I knew it, I had tons of diamonds ready to go…..

I pulled out a small, flannel-covered, design board……

…..and now it is time to let the designs emerge….

I can see this being REALLY addictive!!!