On Sunday afternoon, I decided that I wanted to accomplish one item on my To-do list…..get two quilts basted and ready for quilting.
The first one was another Charity quilt that I will use to practice Free motion quilting with a ruler. For this one, I was using batting that had been given to me so I used a spray baste. I previously talked about spray basting in this post, but I did noted one change that I would make the next time.
So, this time I used a sharpie and marked the outline of the quilt top on the batting so that I would know exactly where the spray needed to go……
With the first one accomplished, it was time to move on to my Brown Stripe quilt and was using Fusible batting for this one. My favorite batting is Hobbes Heirloom 80/20 Fusible……
I used to lay out all three layers of the quilt and iron them all at once, but I was never completely happy with how the backing looked. Several years ago I changed the process, starting out by slightly stretching the batting and taping it to the floor.
Then I spread the backing out over the batting and smooth it in place…..
Now I take the iron and slowly iron from the center of the quilt out to each edge, vertical first, then horizontal and finally diagonally…..
I normally accomplish this by kneeling on the quilt and ironing heavily…..
When it is ironed in place, I remove the masking tape and turn the quilt over so that the batting is facing up…..
One nice thing about this method is that you can easily see the back of the quilt and can ensure that the top is straight.
Now I place the top on the batting, smooth it out and start the ironing process again.
But, this time my knees (particularly the replacement) were NOT happy kneeling so I decided to keep standing and just bend from the waist to do the ironing……
This is where the “WOW” moment happened…… As I ironed, I realized that I had previously been pressing down HARD with the iron which meant that sometimes the seams were distorted. Ironing while standing meant that I was pressing lightly with the iron but letting the steam do all of the work!! The result was a better basted piece with very little distortion…..AND no sore knees!!!
Once the top was ironed, I trimmed the excess batting and backing fabric but got a LITTLE too close here…..
I let it sit until it had dried completely and then moved it to the guest bedroom to wait until I can start the quilting process…..
It fits really well in this room!!!!
I have not made all of the decisions about how to quilt this, but I am pretty sure that I am going to do the “square spiral” design in all of the white blocks. I will do one, see how it looks and then keep going with others…..or pick out the quilting and find another idea!!!