I don’t do this very often, but recently I ended up “down Alice’s rabbit hole”….so to speak.
It all started out so innocently…..
I was getting ready to start working on the Saddle-Bill Stork collage quilt and remembered a package of scraps from a workshop that I had taken several years ago. This was important because they were black and white scraps and had “Misty Fuse” already applied to them. They would be PERFECT for my Stork collage.
As I looked, I pulled out a large box labeled “Miscellaneous Fabrics and Blocks”, being fairly certain that the scraps were there. Well, the bag was NOT in this box, but there was a bag of black and white fabrics, with a few reds thrown in for good measure…..
….. leftovers from a charity raffle quilt that had been made many years ago…..
Eventhough these fabrics didn’t have Misty Fuse on them, I pulled them out and started admiring them….
Now, what could I make with these lovely fabrics????
And before I knew it, I was DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE!!!
I decided that I wanted to turn the strip-pieced triangles into Flying Geese blocks and turned to the Accuquilt machine and the FG die that came with the machine…..
In a few short minutes, I was off and making flying geese blocks!!
Before long I had for strips of FG with spacers between them…..
Yesterday I wrote about the start of the crumb block quilt design phase. Today I have to actually put my thoughts together into a cohesive design!!!
The first decision was to have the geese move in a left to right direction so that you can follow them across the quilt. This also meant that the crumb block would float to different corners of the block…..
The black block was going to be in the center, but I wasn’t sure that I wanted to add flying geese to it so tried just putting borders around it…..
I liked that better, but it looked a bit bland, so I added a small strip of a multi-color fabric that I found on the shelf…..
…and really like the way it separated the black block from the others.
In the final piecing, I made the strip a bit wider and probably should have centered it better in the borders, but I am still happy with how it looks….
Let me say once again how pleased I am with having all of my fabric out so that I can see it at one time. I would NEVER have remembered this multi-color fabric as it would have been in a completely different box!!!
My plan was to go up the next day and pick some borders but, the more that I looked at the quilt, I didn’t want to add anything else to it. So this top is FINISHED!!!
I really like this layout design and can see where it would work with almost any 8 inch block. I am looking forward to doing some more playing with it!!