The joy of uneven borders

When we left the Morewood Mystery Quilt, I was debating about how to add length to the quilt so that it could become a twin size quilt.

It was almost wide enough already but definitely needed some extra length.

IF I had known the finished size, I would have made one more row of blocks and IF I had just used a few fabrics, I would have made the extra blocks now. BUT, since I had used all scraps, I knew that it would be a herculean task to pull scraps to make those 5 extra blocks.

SO….I decided to work with uneven borders!!

I was first introduced to this by Pat Speth who was a speaker at our local quilt guild. She encouraged us that it was okay to have borders of different widths….if nothing else, it could make the math simpler for pieced borders!!

I felt that the quilt needed some more yellow to bring out the yellows in the blocks, so I started by adding a yellow border to the top and bottom…..

Next, I added a purple border….1.5 inches to sides and 2.5 inches to the top and bottom, followed that with a green border all the way around the quilt….

The finished quilt is fun and bright and will hopefully make the recipient smile!! It is being donated to a local women’s rehabilitation shelter and I am hopeful that it will brighten many of their faces and days!!!

Many thanks to Cheryl at Meadow Mist Designs for this fun mystery. I learned many things including…..

If you are interested in the pattern, it is available on Cheryl’s website.

The Mystery is Revealed

This week I felt like Inspector Clouseau…..

The case was indeed SOLV-ED!!

This month was the last clue in the Morewood Mystery from Meadow Mist Designs, and it was SO much fun to see how it all came together.

We ended up with two blocks…..

One of the nicest things about this quilt is that there are NO seams inside the block that have to match. I only had to match the corners….

This meant that sewing the blocks together was super fast and easy!! I would start out by matching the leading edge corner and sewing about an inch….

Then I would match up the seam at the end of the block…..

….and hold it as I sewed the seam…..

…letting the machine pull the block toward the needle….

This is the final design…..

I love the design and the movement across the diagonal of the quilt. However, part of the design is lost because I didn’t have enough contrast between the yellows and the background fabrics. This would have been solved if I had used one white fabric for the background rather than lots of scrap fabrics. Live and learn!!

Also, I wish that it was one more row in length so that it could easily become a twin bed quilt. Now I COULD make 5 extra blocks but instead, I am adding a yellow border to the top and bottom and then additional borders to all sides…..

When it is finished, it will be donated to a women’s rehab center that is in need of twin-size quilts. I think that it will be a happy addition to any room!!

More on the Mystery….

This past week I was determined to catch up with the Morewood Mystery.

When I showed the December clue, I commented that the next step was starting to put some of the bits and pieces together. For me, this is the MOST exciting part of a mystery quilt….seeing how it is going to fit together.

Now, as we have been working on the various pieces to the puzzle, I had formed an idea of where I thought we were headed. But, after completing the January clue, I have NO idea!!

This month we put together these funky, asymmetrical blocks…..

I am super pleased with the piecing and most of my corners matched well.

I had fun laying out the blocks and trying to get some idea of “who-done-it”….ie… what the final pattern would look like……

….but neither of these takes into account the other bits and pieces that still need to be included……

It definitely is a mystery!!

Come back next month for the next clue. AND, if you want to join in, there is still time!! You can find all of the instructions on the Morewood Mystery Website……

Morewood Mystery….a bit late!!!

I LOVE a good mystery…..

….and on December 31st I finally got around to working on the December step for the Morewood Mystery……just in time!!!

The task for this month was to make Quarter-Square Triangle blocks…..or in this case, 3/4-Square Triangle blocks!!

Personally, I don’t remember ever making these type of blocks before, or if I did, I sure didn’t do it this easy way!!!

We started with a half square triangle block and a solid square (with a line drawn on the diagonal)…..

One was laid over the other and a line sewn on each side of the drawn line….

After pressing and cutting on the drawn line, the block was squared up…..

….and is ready for the next step which includes starting to put blocks together….

I am SO EXCITED!!!!

I’m being mysterious again!!

On the first of each month, we are given the next clue in our “Morewood Mystery” quilt presented by Meadow Mist Designs.

This month was fairly easy…..just making some four patches and another patch that will become part of an Irish Chain design.

The instructions called for using a “WOF” (width of fabric) for each set of patches, but since I was going with a scrappy approach, I decided to use lots of smaller strips…..

After they were all sewn together, it was time to Sub-cut them into 30 units. I did a video of this process giving a hint about an easier way!!

After the 4 patches were done…..

…..it was time to make the other units. It would have been good if I had realized that these two units are NOT the same……

Twenty-three of the ones on the left had to be un-sewn and re-done in the correct orientation!!!

But at the end of the day, step three was completed…..

Now I just have to wait a month to keep going!!!