We all know that ironing is a BIG part of quilting and sometimes it takes longer to iron than it does to piece. And, woe to you if you don’t get it ironed flat!!!
Back when I was working on the Brown Stripe quilt, I made a video about an easier way to iron when you have been chain piecing. While it isn’t actually a TOOL, it certainly is a technique that will go a long way…..
I am in need of a quilt for an upcoming gift (more about that in later posts) and was trying to figure out what to do. I knew that it needed to be a small wall quilt so I started looking thru my Miniature Quilts magazines….starting with Issue number 2. MANY issues later, I came upon a strip pieced quilt that caught my eye and proceeded to start planning it in my head.
The first ideas was to use the strips that I had been cutting from my scraps, but realized that the smallest of those (1-1/2 inches) was still too big. SO, I moved up a drawer and pulled out the bits that were “too small to use”….ie narrower than 1-1/2 inches. They were perfect for piecing this quilt!!
I drew one of the block sections on Golden Threads paper and then put 30+ additional squares under the drawn one. I then sewed around the design using a threadless machine and achieved all of my paper patterns in one fell swoop.
I started with all of my scraps in the drawer, but ended up throwing them onto the floor so that I could get to them easier.
As I started paper piecing these blocks, I found two things that helped the process go easier. The first was to leave my machine in “Needle-Up” mode. By doing this, I didn’t have to move the needle up after every seam when I was wanting to pull the sewn piece to the back and start sewing on the next one.
The second was to select and cut ALL of the pieces for a certain seam at the same time rather than reaching down into the pile and cutting them individually.
After piecing the paper blocks, I removed the paper and put them together into the quilt top.
My original idea was to put a solid color fabric in the small border, but decided that it lost the sparkle that the rest of the quilt had, so I used a handful of 1-1/2 strips and created the stripe.
It was a fun quilt to make and I am truly happy with the results.
Now it is off to the home opener for the University of Georgia football team.
There has been a wonderful discussion on the British Quilt List about “Crumb Quilts” that use all of your little bitty bits and pieces (those that I normally throw away)…..I know, I am really bad!!!!
Anyway, I got to thinking about them and googled to look for Crumb Quilt patterns. In doing so, I came across a wonderful website with a bunch of free patterns for scrap quilts. I cant wait to try some of these. Click here if you want to have a look.