So, yesterday, I had the background finished and now it was time to think about the guest of honor….the butterfly!!
I found a great photo online and enlarged it to the size I wanted.
I started out by drawing the outline on a piece of black fabric and then roughly cutting it out.
Next, I added the wing bits…..
As I was trying to figure out how to add all of the small white areas, my friend Linda said “Why don’t you paint them??” At one point I thought I might do some painting on this quilt so I brought my paint supplies with me!!
It didn’t take long to paint the white spots. I decided to add a bit of grey to the edges to give them a bit more depth.
I also added a bit of green paint to the inner sections to give more depth there too.
Since I am NOT a painter, what I did was minimal but I think that it added a lot to the Monarch!!
Now it was time to tackle the Milkweed.
I brought this photo with me…..
….and used it as my guide.
Once again, I am going for depth so started with some paints on white fabric. I got excited doing this step and kept forgetting to take photos, but you can see it pretty well in this photo….
I started out with a sea sponge, then added brush strokes in green and then some brown as well.
Next, I used the photo and cut out lots and lots of flower shapes. The first set was fused onto the background and heavy embroidery threads were added to the centers. I also used a marker to add some more interest.
The next morning, I added a layer of batting to the back and another set of flowers…..this time sewing them on the machine….
I actually like those better than the hand-sewn ones but I think that the diversity will add to the design.
Once I saw that this idea was going to work okay, I cut out a bunch more flower shapes with fusible on the back and then also fused two fabrics together and cut out flowers that will be loose on the top.
Before I left for the retreat, I found a font that I liked and printed out the words. It was easy work to transfer them to the fusible web and cut them out of fabric. They didn’t show up well on the green background so I added a black fabric strip under them.
I will rough-cut the black before I fuse it down.
When I left the retreat, the quilt was at this stage…..
Lot’s more to come…..I just have to find the time to do it!!!
If you subscribe to my mailing list, you can receive this free pattern for “Dancing Squares”…..
You can sign up HERE……
4 thoughts on “Let’s talk Monarch’s!!”
love your monarch butterfly and milkweed on green challenge block. Cool Cant wait to see outcome. Had my knee surgery. Doing well so far. Jodie
Thanks Jodie. Not much of the background ended up showing but that is okay!!! So glad you are doing well!!
Love the background and the monarch and the milkweed and the concept! Can’t believe there’s more.
Thanks Claire. I am having fun working on it but need to get busy because I need it finished by the 1st!!!